[mapserver-dev] Server-side Simplication Speed-up

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Mar 22 13:19:32 PDT 2012

Could we add msLayerSetSimplifyResolution() that could be called to turn
on/off the simplify stuff? Passing a valid resolution at the beginning
of a rendering pass would enable it, and a resolution of 0 in other
cases would disable it and return the original coordinates.

On 12-03-22 3:59 PM, Paul Ramsey wrote:
> Sandro working on MapNik says that this change
>
> https://github.com/mapnik/mapnik/issues/1136
>
> running an "appropriate" st_simplify on the geometries before sending
> them over the wire to the renderer, gave up to 75% speedups on
> rendering complicated items.
>
> In order to try it out on MapServer, the PostGIS driver needs to know
> two things:
> - what's the resolution being rendered to? this I can pick up out of
> the mapObj easily I think, tracing back up from the layerObj passed
> into the driver
> - is this a rendering call to the driver, or a feature access call?
> this is harder... I need to distinguish between calls to the driver
> that are going to use the features for rendering and those that are
> going to send them back to the requester as data. Is there an obvious
> global way to figure this out from the driver level?
>
> P.

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/