[mapserver-dev] RFC-7.2: MapServer Git Push Management

thomas bonfort thomas.bonfort at gmail.com
Wed Oct 3 00:43:04 PDT 2012

Thanks Tom for taking this.

On Tue, Oct 2, 2012 at 9:04 PM, Lime, Steve D (DNR)
<Steve.Lime at state.mn.us> wrote:
> Thanks for doing this Tom. Couple of things to discuss:
>

> 1)      We’ve talked about getting rid of HISTORY.TXT and somehow relying on
> commit comments. Any thoughts on this?

How I envision this is to keep HISTORY.TXT as a means to highlight the
noteworthy additions to mapserver in major releases. The reason for
*not* updating HISTORY.TXT in stable branches is twofold:
 - The changes we publicize between stable versions need to be
complete. The commit log is a good source for this, as it does not
rely on manually updating the history file.
 - The goal is to ease fixes being committed to the stable branch
rather than only the development one, and updating HISTORY in the
stable branch will always cause merge conflicts when merging the
stable branch back into the master one.

> 2)      In the Git Commit Practices section there’s mention of msautotest.
> That’s changed now with the test on commit testing and “make test” support.

The tests are still added to msautotest. make test and the continuous
integration are just wrappers around running the original msautotest
suite. I would like to include a requirement (or at least a very
strong recommendation) that all new features get a batch of autotests,
if possible also exercising corner cases.
Regarding tests, and given that our test suite is now fully passing, I
would also like to include a requirement that a commit does not break
any of the existing tests (or that the test suite be updated with
expected results if required). Using pull requests rather than
directly committing to the branches is a practical way of testing
proposed changes before inclusion.
How do you guys feel about adding these to RFC7.2 ? /me feels a little
bit awkward at forcing down these kind of rules, but think that they
will be beneficial in the long run.

> 3)      Should the coding style (astyle) be mentioned?
Good point. I'll update the RFC accordingly.