[mapserver-dev] Request for review/comments on RFC 85 (Contour Layer Rendering)

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Thu Sep 20 11:15:28 PDT 2012

Frank,

As discussed with EvenR, the ideal process would be to generate another
raster dataset (frmt_mem) using GDALRasterIO() to only get what we need
from the raster source. This would take the extent, window size, etc.
into account. After, we would pass this modified dataset to
GDALContourGenerate.

Do you agree with that solution?

Alan

On 12-09-20 01:11 PM, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> Alan,
>
> This looks cool, and I like the nice general way of specifying
> different intervals at different scales.
>
> I'm mildly concerned that GDALContourGenerate is really producing more
> detailed vector information than is likely necessary if you are
> running it on elevation raster data at the map display resolution.
> It will produce lots of basically one pixel vectors which need to be
> styled.  I'm not sure what the fix for that is.  One thing that might
> help would be supporting a downsampling factor where the elevation
> data would actually be loaded at a somewhat lower resolution than the
> displayed map and generate the contours from that.
>
> In any event, assuming the performance is adequate it will work fine
> as is, and exactly how the contours are produced could be changed in
> the future.
>
> It is sweet to see my contour generator getting more use!
>
> Best regards,
> Frank
>

> On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 8:40 AM, Alan Boudreault
> <aboudreault at mapgears.com> wrote:
>> Hi devs,
>>
>> I'd like to request some review on a pending RFC regarding support for
>> contour layer rendering.
>>
>> Please see
>> https://raw.github.com/mapserver/docs/master/en/development/rfc/ms-rfc-85.txt
>>
>> The official rfc page should be updated in about a hour.
>>
>> http://mapserver.org/trunk/development/rfc/ms-rfc-85.html.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alan
>> --