[mapserver-dev] Add support for using all OGR style parameters

Tamas Szekeres szekerest at gmail.com
Sat Sep 29 07:28:32 PDT 2012

Hi All,

Currently the OGR driver supports to get only of the various OGR label
style parameters as special attributes (ie. OGR:LabelText or OGR_LabelAngle)

We would like to use further style parameters in mapserver so I've added a
sample implementation for this in my forked repo:

https://github.com/szekerest/mapserver/commit/78c2e56c0e5d9a5da68ed6719881392230a587f3

This implementation provides support to use the following special attributes

OGR:LabelParam[paramId]
OGR:BrushParam[paramId]
OGR:PenParam[paramId]
OGR:SymbolParam[paramId]

where [paramId] is an integer value according to
the OGRSTLabelParam, OGRSTBrushParam, OGRSTPenParam, OGRSTSymbolParam
enumerations in ogr_core.h<http://www.gdal.org/ogr/ogr__core_8h-source.html>
.

With this addition we can easily map feature styles (ie mapinfo styles) to
classes for example by using *CLASSITEM [OGR:BrushParam2]* which refers to
the mapinfo brush id.

What are the opinions about such kind of addition?

BTW: the ogr autostyle mechanism provides support to map style id-s to
mapserver symbols but as of mapserver 6.0 this can be used less
efficiently, since many of the symbol parameters (like patterns) has been
moved to the style sections. So we'd prefer to map styleid-s to classes
instead of symbols then.

Best regards,

Tamas