[mapserver-dev] MongoDB support?

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Wed Feb 6 12:13:19 PST 2013

On 2/6/2013 2:06 PM, Lime, Steve D (MNIT) wrote:
> Not something I've thought of. Options as I see it would be to:
>
>    - use mapscript. Presumably most scripting languages can access MongoDB.
>    - Write a native MapServer driver plugin...
>    - Wait for OGR support...

Hi Steve,

Yeah, this was my conclusion also. I wrote to Frank and suggested it
would be useful to extent file support of ogr to allow access to
<service>://... servers because then you could do something like open a
CSV connection to http://example.com/myphp.php?args.. and PHP to make
the querys and format the data to OGR for reading data. This would allow
it to them be called from Mapserver. If you keep it simple this could be
extremely useful for supporting all kinds of services that could not be
support otherwise. This would work in OGR for CSV, GML, basically any
text flat file reader that already exists in OGR today.

For now, I might write a trivial mapscript application to support my
immediate needs.

There are a large number of these NOSQL databases popping up and being
able to have some generic connection via scripting up a web service
makes a lot of sense to me, beyond the immediate need that I have. I
have already just dumped the some data to a text file and used that to
create a shapefile to get some data into a map. But I really like the
idea of some kind of universal glue like the above.

Thanks,
   -Steve