[mapserver-dev] Adding a tiling backend, and want to use ImageMagick

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Thu Jan 10 13:27:25 PST 2013

On 1/10/2013 4:16 PM, Jeff Donner wrote:
> Hi;
>
>    I'm adding a tiling backend to MapServer, and I'd like to use
> ImageMagick (C bindings) for convenience. Would adding a largish
> library like that be ok among the maintainers (if my company lets me
> submit it), or is there a better way? The operations I want to do are
> placing tiles into a dest. image, cropping, and then resizing. Re:
> licences, ImageMagick is Apache 2.0, which at first blush it looks
> compatible with MapServer's MIT license. Any guidance / comments?

Have you looked at mapcache? It is part of the mapserver source tree.

This is a full tiling backend that runs in apache and talks to mapserver.

We had a tiling back-end prototype built into mapserver a while back,
but I can tell you that mapcache is a MUCH better solution and does all
kinds of cool stuf that you could never easily do in mapserver.

-Steve