[mapserver-dev] [mapserver-users] RFC99: Remove GD support in 7.0

Stephen Woodbridge woodbri at swoodbridge.com
Fri Jun 7 06:48:02 PDT 2013

On 6/7/2013 9:27 AM, thomas bonfort wrote:
> Devs and Users,
>
> Please have a look at RFC99
> (http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-99.html). I am particularly
> interested in use-cases that would not be supported if GD were to be
> removed.

Thomas,

+1 I am all for moving forward with this proposal.

The only use case that I can think of for GD renders was to generate
unaliased vector rendering for transparent images because the image size
was significantly smaller. I'm not aware if this is still needed or who
was using it for that matter.

Regardless, those people always have the option of remaining on an old
version of mapserver and potentially contracting for fixes if they
decide they need them.

-Steve W