[mapserver-dev] RFC-108 : heatmap generation

Even Rouault even.rouault at mines-paris.org
Thu Jan 30 12:25:54 PST 2014

Le jeudi 30 janvier 2014 17:58:07, Thomas Bonfort a écrit :
> Devs,
>
> please have a look at RFC-108 [1]. The associated code and the RFC are
> still beta, so there's still plenty of room for modification or remarks.

Hi Thomas,

Very cool. As it somehow related to what gdal_grid does (admitedly in a less
beautiful fashion), I'm wondering if you've thought about the performance
implications of a point layer with a lot of features (I've not looked at your
code). Iterating over each point for each pixel might be very slowly. For some
modes of gdal_grid I had started building a in-memory quadtree to speed-up the
search for candidate points. Or perhaps you assume that the point layer has a
spatial index (PostGIS, .qix, etc...) and use msQueryByRect() ?

Even

> best regards,
> thomas
>
> [1] http://mapserver.org/development/rfc/ms-rfc-108.html