[mapserver-dev] GSoC Ideas for MapServer

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Fri Feb 20 14:24:40 PST 2015

On 2015-02-20 4:21 PM, Oliver Courtin wrote:
> Le 19 févr. 2015 à 15:35, Even Rouault a écrit :
>
> Hi Even,
>
>> I doubt the overhead introduced by OGR would be really significant if you take
>> into account the whole chain
>
> I you have doubts, i have not :)
> And this not because of OGR itself, but because of an abstraction layer in the middle.
> It would cost (mostly on big GetFeature requests).

My 0.02$:

While I can appreciate Olivier's design goals, I can also see the HUGE
value provided by OGR support in TinyOWS for lots of users, and doing it
with the help of libs such as GEOS is clearly feasible even if it might
result in a bridge of (slightly) inferior quality to the support
provided by the prime backends (PostGIS, Oracle SPatial and SQLite).

The challenge may be a bit big for a GSoC student, but I think we
shouldn't completely rule out the idea of supporting OGR in TinyOWS if
the right project and funding became available.

Daniel Morissette
T: +1 418-696-5056 #201
http://www.mapgears.com/