[mapserver-dev] mapserver.gis.umn.edu

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Tue Jul 26 06:09:43 PDT 2016

I suspect the issue may be a missing "ServerAlias mapserver.gis.umn.edu"
in the mapserver.org VirtualHost on the OSGeo server at 140.211.15.3 (I
do not have access to verify)

i.e. the DNS entry for mapserver.gis.umn.edu already points correctly to
the mapserver.org server:

;; ANSWER SECTION:
mapserver.gis.umn.edu.	17999	IN	CNAME	mapserver.org.
mapserver.org.		3599	IN	A	140.211.15.3

And the 140.211.15.3 server responds with the Geotools virutalhost
contents for any domain that is not recognized, or if you access the
server directly by IP: http://140.211.15.3/

It may also be a good idea to set the default VirtualHost for
http://140.211.15.3/ to be a redirect to osgeo.org, or to anything
except falling back on one of the project-specific VirtualHost as is
currently the case with the fallback on the geotools.org virtualhost.

Daniel

On 2016-07-26 8:55 AM, Jeff McKenna wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> This morning I noticed that the old url (http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/)
> actually redirects to the GeoTools main page; this is startling, as
> there are literally thousands of old pages & links out there on the
> internet still pointing to http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/  (indeed this
> explains why Google lists GeoTools so high up when you search for
> MapServer)
>
> Could someone from the UMN gang tackle this right away?  Please make
> sure the old site points to http://mapserver.org/ Thanks,
>
> -jeff

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/