[mapserver-dev] Dropping support for GDAL < 2 ?

Seth G sethg at geographika.co.uk
Fri Aug 23 02:39:55 PDT 2019

+1 on dropping old GDAL versions for future MapServer releases. We've done this with SWIG and CMake recently.

With regards to the Mapfile syntax, there is precedent with the PROCESSING "OO:KEY=VALUE" approach in FORMATOPTION:

> FORMATOPTION "METADATA_ITEM:PRODUCER=MapServer, with GDAL trunk"

A new Mapfile keyword will require changes for SWIG support I believe?

My preference from a syntax point of view (although blissfully unaware of the implementation issues it will raise!) would be to turn PROCESSING into a block with the same syntax as METADATA e.g.

PROCESSING
   "CONTOUR_INTERVAL" "5"
   "CLUSTER_GET_ALL_SHAPES" ON"
   "OPENOPTION_KEY1" "VALUE1"
   "OPENOPTION_KEY2" "VALUE2"
END

SWIG could then use a dict type approach in the same way as METADATA to update and add, modify keys and values in the PROCESSING block.

Seth

--
web:http://geographika.co.uk
twitter: @geographika