[mapserver-dev] Reminder of big push now for 8.0 release

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Aug 19 11:48:31 PDT 2020

Hi devs,

Reminder that we have a big 8.0 release coming up (tentatively set for
October 30), and you can see the various tickets/PRs assigned to 8.0 at
https://github.com/mapserver/mapserver/milestone/54 (this link is often
hard to find on the Github interface).

I have created a visible release plan page that users can follow
(https://mapserver.org/development/release/release-plan-8.0.html) which
lists some hard dates (tentative as usual, but gives us a goal)   :

   Feature freeze : Fri. October 2, 2020
   8.0-beta1 : Fri. October 9, 2020
   8.0-beta2 : Fri. October 16, 2020
   8.0-rc1 : Fri. October 23, 2020
   8.0 (final) : Fri. October 30, 2020

So, in other words, September will be a lot of changes happening, with
the goal to start the release process on October 2.   (of course lets
see how things go, if the release has to be pushed back to January/2021
it is no big deal)

Feedback on this plan (and date changes) are welcomed.

-jeff