[mapserver-dev] Draft proposal for 8.0 - Site Context FIles

Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) bob.basques at ci.stpaul.mn.us
Mon Apr 5 07:06:38 PDT 2021

I know more work, but what about doing both formats for some number of versions?  Speaking as an old-fart MapServer user, I’m inclined to go the MapServer like format, but I’m sure new folks coming into the fold would better appreciate a JSON approach.

Another thought, rather than have two formats, what about building/including a JSON output converter for MapFile like context.   Would lead towards folks running either type of set up for a while.  Obviously need parsers for both though.  Also would help in eventual hard conversion to JSON form in the (distant) future?

Bobb

  https://github.com/sdlime/mapserver/wiki/MapServer-8.0-Config-File

Note one advantage of this format over JSON is that comments (single and multi-line) are much easier...