[mapserver-dev] Fuzzing MapServer

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Thu Apr 15 03:15:34 PDT 2021

Hi,

I think we should not tie too many things to the 8.0 release, otherwise
it will never see the light. There is no such thing as a perfect
release. Fuzzing is a marathon-type of effort, not a sprint. Even if
your code base doesn't change, fuzzers might take years to uncover some
weird bugs. Although the pattern I've seen is more like a decreasing
exponential one: you get flooded by bugs in the first weeks, and things
calm down a bit then.

There are two parts:

- initial setup: for oss-fuzz, you need to setup script to do a fully
static build of libmapserver (and all its dependencies, but you can
generally use for that the static lib shipped with the .deb development
packages). And you need to write one or several fuzzer programs that are
made of one function that that accept a """random""" buffer and do
something useful with it.  In a MapServer context, that buffer could be
made of several parts: type of request (GET/POST), XML post content if
POST, content of the QUERY_STRING (or maybe more generally KEY=VALUE
environment variables), mapfile content inlined, (resources pointed by
the mapfile?). Probably to make things simpler, a first step would be to
have just a fuzzer on the QUERY_STRING content that would operate on a
fixed mapfile, as most interesting vulnerabilities in a mapserver
context come from QUERY_STRING content (to be opposed to bugs linked to
mapfile content itself). That initial setup isn't necessary trivial to
do. In the oss-fuzz case, you can use locally their Docker image to have
things working (you known it works when it spots the first bug. My
experience with code that hasn't been submitted to fuzzing is that it
takes only a few seconds :-) Generally some memleak in an error code
path). And then you can submit that for inclusion to the ossfuzz github
repo so that this is run continuously on google infrastructure.

- fix the bugs as they flow in.

Even

http://www.spatialys.com