[mapserver-dev] Mapserver assertion handling causing potential crashes

Even Rouault even.rouault at spatialys.com
Sat Feb 12 11:25:03 PST 2022

Hopefully https://github.com/MapServer/MapServer/pull/6477 should fix that

to use or not to use assert(), and where, is one of the many debates for
which devs will have different opinions :
https://stackoverflow.com/questions/1081409/why-should-i-use-asserts .
I'd say assert() are supposed to be used for conditions you don't
anticipate to happen in practice and thus for which you don't have a
plan if they occur (a good reason is because you can't test it and thus
the error handling might be broken because untested). Of course practice
sometimes/often later contradicts your theories, as the impossible has a
trend to occur more often than you'd like :-)

Even

--
http://www.spatialys.com