[mapserver-dev] Dropping Version Output?

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Wed Feb 16 03:27:07 PST 2022

This is one of the first steps as a user, checking what is actually
supported by MapServer, in your installation.  Remember that most do not
build MapServer themselves so they have no idea what parts of MapServer
is installed.

In fact this version output I'd argue is one of the most used features
of MapServer.

-jeff

On 2022-02-15 9:48 p.m., Steve Lime wrote:
> What do folks think about dropping the version output from MapServer?
> That is, output like:
>
> <!-- MapServer version 7.6.4 OUTPUT=PNG OUTPUT=JPEG SUPPORTS=PROJ
> SUPPORTS=AGG SUPPORTS=FREETYPE SUPPORTS=CAIRO SUPPORTS=ICONV
> SUPPORTS=WMS_SERVER SUPPORTS=WMS_CLIENT SUPPORTS=WFS_SERVER
> SUPPORTS=WCS_SERVER SUPPORTS=GEOS SUPPORTS=POINT_Z_M SUPPORTS=PBF
> INPUT=JPEG INPUT=POSTGIS INPUT=OGR INPUT=GDAL INPUT=SHAPEFILE -->
>
> I'm not sure that advertising version and supported components makes
> sense anymore. Might be able to make it tunable via the config file but
> I'm not sure that's even necessary.
>
> --Steve

Jeff McKenna
GatewayGeo: Developers of MS4W, MapServer Consulting and Training
co-founder of FOSS4G
http://gatewaygeo.com/