[MapServer-dev] Suggestion - downloading a map file from the database, atomic logs and etc.

Nikolay Sukhno nsukhno at gisware-integro.com
Mon Jul 24 03:42:35 PDT 2023

Hello, sorry if i'm posting in the wrong place

In our company, we have made some modifications to the mapserver, and would
like to offer this functionality.

Will the community be interested in the following modifications?

1. The function of loading a mapfile from the database (we have it postgres)

mappostgis.cpp::msPostGisLoadTextFileFromDb

This is controlled by two config parameters, like

MS_MAP_FROM_DB_CONN "host=127.0.0.1 port=5432 dbname=postgres_mapserv
user=*** password=***"

MS_MAP_FROM_DB_SQL "select x.mapfile from mta_mapserv x where ."

We did it because mapfiles are generated automatically. It is also faster
than reading from disk, and this is visibly on large mapfiles.

2. Atomic logging of the function msDebug. We have implemented through Mutex

It helps a lot when testing, when several threads write to one file, the
lines are confused.

3. Logging the layer name for various errors.

This helps us a lot to find errors in the mapfile in real user experience.