[MapServer-dev] Variables in mapfiles

Lime, Steve D (MNIT) steve.lime at state.mn.us
Fri Nov 17 13:37:08 PST 2023

Hi Jukka: Yeah, this is a potential area for improvement. We've be using a couple of strategies where I work. One being includes plus runtime subs so you can embed replacement strings as necessary, similar to your examples. The environment file gets included in a validation block and you set both a default and validation patterns for each value:

  "dbhost_default" "some.database.host"
  "dbhost"                "^some\.database\.host$"

So dbhost can only be the one value. I feels cleaner just write things the way you suggest. However, it feels wrong to have to set a value twice - and is potentially error prone in a bad way. Plus, there's no connection to the environment. I'm not a huge fan.

The other approach is using a pre-processor to essentially compile a mapfile into a final version. We're using YAML + mappyfile to create an environment-specific version of the mapfile. The YAML definition can consist of constants plus references to environment variables. There is loads of potential here but deployment in different environments requires a compilation step plus a working Python environment.

So, I can see value in a VARIABLES block or reference to a file. Could also do that at the config file level instead. Beyond loading the hash somehow, one would need a method to apply the variables in a limited fashion, probably while the mapfile is being parsed. So, load the DATA value and then apply variables or something like that.

This warrants an RFC I think...

--Steve