new version

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Sun Jun 13 23:57:59 EDT 1999

Hi Grzegorz:

1- Nope, no way (currently) to center each string. That's the price for the antialiasing and font roatation in the gdft package. That code is all character based where my old stuff working on strings/tokens. It may be possible to add justification again, but it won't be easy.

2- I went back and forth on "last-in-first-out"
or "first-in-first-out". The current setup is LIFO
for a couple of reasons. First, things drawn last are presumably the most important. You must consider the label cache as spanning layers and not just features. Second, it makes sense when drawing/symbolizing roads layers, especially if different classes of roads share arcs. More important roads can be drawn after (and on top of) lesser roads, and then they can be labeled that way as well. It turns out that sorting shapefiles can be real usefull for labeling. There is a utility in the shapelib directory called shpsort (or sortshp) that will sort a shapefile based on a numerical item. I may try to do something like LIFO for layers and FIFO for features but haven't had time.

3- No, it's there and called "LABELMINSCALE" and "LABELMAXSCALE".

Steve

<<< "Grzegorz Myrda" <mapadm at polsl.gliwice.pl>  6/13  3:07p >>>
In previous versions fixed font labels positioned at CC, were centered
vertically (each word) in case of wrapping , now the whole label is
centered, but not each word (token).
Is there any way to center each token ?

I have also one suggestion to Steven:
I think that most important annotations should be listed first in the layer
classes definition to ensure they are drawn if labeloverlap is false.

and one bug:
there is no min/maxscale support for labels in new version ?

Grzegorz