Version 3.3 wish list...

Rob Atkinson rob at socialchange.net
Tue Jun 29 13:10:10 EDT 1999

To do this you will need a more extensible syntax for object specification in
the URL.
You may find this useful:

http://icmiss.socialchange.net.au/support/csgi/csgihttp.doc

The actual content is still a bit lightweight for your needs - it is more a
minimal set for interoperability, but the mechanism is extensible.

We are currently working on such issues with the OpenGIS consortium, but I'm not
at liberty to divulge details.

Also I guess it would be nice to see the map file expressed in  XML to get
instant access to parsers and validators.

Regards
Rob Atkinson

Banister Trevor wrote:

> I like this idea of more control from forms. I'm having a tough time getting
> granular control without building lots of .map files.
>
> How about an intermediate step which allows all the parameters from a .map
> file to be called from a form, or from the query string? This technique
> would help in using mapserver as a backend workhorse to serve images to
> multiple front end servers.
>
> This would also allow other front end systems (running PHP, Cold Fusion,
> ASP, etc.) access to generate layer parameters without having to write a
> temporary .map file on the mapserver, on the fly (a kludgey technique I'm
> using to change the order and projection in which layers are presented)
>
> I'm toying with the idea of letting users upload their own layers (shapes or
> images) to add value to the maps the generate. Being able to generate a map
> without a .map file would make this much easier too.
>
> Since this is my first posting, let me take a minute to say thanks for
> creating mapserv, and making it open source. I hope to be able to contribute
> some code once I get up to speed on its internals.
>
> Does anyone else have an interest in serving up MrSID images (with sid world
> files)?
> For those that don't already know, MrSID is a wavelet compression system
> developed by Lizard tech (www.lizardtech.com) which is lossy like JPEG, but
> produces much better compression (20:1) with hardly any loss.
>
> Trevor Banister
> Sr. Application Designer (and builder, deployer, maintainer, .....)
> Space Imaging
> TBanister at SpaceImaging.com
>
> To satisfy the legal department:
> The preceding statements and opinions are my own and not those of my
> employer, Space Imaging.

Rob Atkinson                                                rob at socialchange.net

Director                                                        Mob 0419 202 973

Social Change Online Pty Ltd                                Ph  +61 (2)9557 6500

http://online.socialchange.net                              Fax +61 (2)9519 8940