Shading certain polygons

Doug Nebert ddnebert at usgs.gov
Thu Nov 4 14:33:39 EST 1999

 Stephen Lime wrote:

> Try this:
>
> CLASSITEM HYC
> CLASS
>   EXPRESSION "8"
>   COLOR 50 50 250
> END
>
> The / /'s are a perlism I believe and they are
> not necessary. Note the expression "8" matches any
> value with an 8 in it while "^8$" matches only a
> single 8. You can add outlines by defining an outlinecolor.
>
> Lot's of stratagies for dealing with large shapefiles. One is
> reduced resolution version, just like you did with the DEM images
> but with vector data. Another is using spatial indexes. I
> usually work with both. Note, mapserver does not
> use arcview indexes, rather it has it's own
> indexer- shpindex. I can expand on that if anybody
> cares to listen...

Turns out I don't have quite the right content in the global lakes
polygon shapefile that I thought I had. I will work more on it
in arc/info and re-shape it. I will also use some threshholding
and create low-res lakes to be shown at certain scales. So how
does shpindex work?  It would appear that the shapefile is being
digested when first loaded and that subsequent reads are either
from memory or an index, yes? At least it seems that second
draws of a different region are faster than the first access.

Doug.