Shape file creation??

Paul G. Allen pgallen at randomlogic.com
Tue Nov 9 19:33:00 EST 1999

Kieran Ames wrote:

> I'm shooting from the hip here...
> Does anyone know if there is anything like "txt2shp.exe" that could take
> a text file (or ODBC result) that contains points and looks like this:
>
> NAME    LONG    LAT    ATTR_1    ATTR_2    ATTR_3        etc.....
>
> and convert it to the appropriate shp, dbf, shx files?
>
> TIA
>
> Kieran

I have a set of utilities written in Perl and C for just this purpose. The code
uses Shapelib 1.2.5 for shapefile creation and was written and compiled under
Red Hat Linux 6.0 (Kernel 2.2.5-15). Right now it only works with POINT types,
but it would be a fairly simple matter to add other shape types as well. The
source can be found here:

http://24.5.14.144/phframe.html

I can send the C binaries if you'd like. The code is also easily compiled for M$
platforms, but note that I modified a portion of the Shapelib library due to
problems with the GNU* and egcs compilers.

I plan to get the entire source tree and biinaries on an ftp site soon.

PGA