Shape file creation? An example!

Doug Nebert ddnebert at usgs.gov
Wed Nov 10 08:52:03 EST 1999

Kieran:

Yesterday, ironically, I did just this kind of thing based on
the simple script example in the shapelib directory as a script.
I wrote a perl script to receive the output from an earthquake
checker program (finger quake at gldfs.cr.usgs.gov) -- a fixed column
format file and fed it to the shapelib executables. It does use
the "system" invocations but this should work with perl on either
UNIX or NT since the invocations are the same in shapelib. Here
is the little script. One thing to note is that you need to enter
coordinates and attributes in the same order. (Something I could
not make work was the ability to load numeric fields so I loaded
all fields as text fields. -n option is either poorly documented
or broken.):

#!/usr/bin/perl

# Assign location of shapelib executables
$qd = "/var/quakes";
# Assign location of mapserver data
$dd = "/var/mapserver/global/data";

system("rm -f $dd/quake.*");
system("$qd/shpcreate $dd/quakes point");
# This line creates 4 DBF text fields with lenghts 8, 8, 5, and 3
system("$qd/dbfcreate $dd/quakes.dbf -s Date 8, -s Time 8, -s Depth 5,
-s Mag 3");

while (<>) {
	if (/^99/) {
        $dat = substr($_,0,8);
        $tim = substr($_,9,8);
	$lat = substr($_,18,5);
	if ( substr($_,24,1) eq 'S' ) {
		$lat = $lat * -1 ;
	}
	$long = substr($_,26,6);
	if ( substr($_,32,1) eq 'W' ) {
		$long = $long * -1 ;
	}
	$depth = substr($_,34,5);
	$mag = substr($_,40,3);
	$place = substr($_,49,28);

#	print "$place $lat $long\n";
# This line pushes the point coordinates into the shapefile
	system("$qd/shpadd $dd/quakes $long $lat");
# This line pushes the four attributes into the DBF file
	system("$qd/dbfadd $dd/quakes.dbf $dat, $tim, $depth, $mag");
	}
}

exit;

--