new version 3.3...

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Nov 10 14:45:15 EST 1999

I've posted another alpha version of 3.3 at the main MapServer web site. URL for
the archive is: http://mapserver.gis.umn.edu/dist/ms_3.3.tar.gz

I fixed a number of reported bugs including some simple query problems and a legend
labeling issue. Again, this is alpha code, expect bugs and report them.

I've made the MapServer test suite live, although it won't be completely working until
tonite when I copy a few missing shapefiles to the servers here. Eventually this will
be distributed in lieu of the old demo. You can see it at: http://arachnid.dnr.state.mn.us/ms_test

I also ported our DNR Recreation Compass to use 3.3 for testing purposes. Only a couple
of gotchas (see http://arachnid.dnr.state.mn.us/compass) -

  1) Queries initiated from maps DO take scale into account.
  2) Font sizes are much more true than the previous version, size=12 gets you 12 pixel high
      text. This comes from the integration of changes made by the GD developers to the TrueType
      font handling and rendering.

Otherwise I had to change only 1 line in the map file- removed labeloverlap.

You can build MapServer with newer versions of GD, including the PNG only version. To do this
edit Makefile and gdft/Makefile (look for the GD sections) and build normally. Of course, you must
install the version of GD you want on your system. With GD-1.7.3, don't worry about compiling in
FreeType support, I don't use their stuff anyway.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR