MapScript example...

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Nov 16 16:08:58 EST 1999

Got a simple MapScript example running at http://arachnid.dnr.state.mn.us/ms_test. It's
a perl script that uses remote data from the USGS (gathered using the perl Net::Finger
module) to plot the last 21 semi-major earth quakes around the world. I swiped the world
DEM from Doug Nebert's prototype, pretty image. Everything is handled in perl using
a few MapScript calls to manipulate map file settings, draw the basemap, map the quake
locations and to add a timestamp. It may be slow depending on how busy the USGS servers
are cause each pan or zoom executes a finger request. In a production mode you'd probably
nab the data every hour or so and work from the copy, still no need to create a shapefile. I'll
glady share any details of this script.

Yes, documentation is in the works. I hope to have at least some up tonite at the main
MapServer site.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst