Labels for timezones layer

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Nov 23 13:42:57 EST 1999

I see, good point. Presently only lines are labeled at their visable center. I suppose that is possible with polygons
as well but I've had some concerns about the affects of clipping on area calculations and knowing
whether a shape part was an internal or external ring so I haven't persued it. Ideally I'd like to use
MINFEATURESIZE in conjunction with polygons and lines. That would help control slivers. I need to
do some testing before this could be implemented.

steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Marc JACQUIN - GEOSYS Inc - Minneapolis <mjacquin at geosys-inc.com> 11/23/99 12:10PM >>>
Steve,

Already tried to do that but it is nt so obvious. To have the label display at the center of
the polygon the top and bottom 'little' maps must cover the equator area and very often, at
equator, timezones differ from what they are at a different latitude. I did told you I was
displaying the limits of the TZ. So limits would not match. Unless MapServer displays labels
centered on the displayed area of the polygon (not exactly at the center of the polygon).