Updating Shapefiles, and data integrity

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Oct 12 17:36:38 EDT 1999

The more I think about this, the more I understand why I never attempted it.
Locking is a real pain in the CGI world. When do you lock, when a record
is requested or when edits are submitted? If the latter then there is a chance
more than one person could request the same shape. I don't think that
on-the-fly edits are possible robustly. Somehow I think edits need to be cached
and commited "behind the scenes". It's essential the shp, shx and dbf records
remain in sync. What about something like this:

Assuming the there is a mechanism to request a shape and attributes (and a checkout
time)  and make changes. A user now sends back some edits. This causes a record to
be written to a "pending" database. What actually gets saved are things like source
shapefile, feature id (-1 for new), timestamp, etc. The actually edits get saved in some format
(shapefile) as a  file whose name can be reconstructed from elements in the pending database.
Now, periodically a process could go through and commit the edits in the pending database
to production (not web accessible) versions. When this is finished the updated stuff
could be swapped in for the old stuff and the pending database purged (in part). The
commiting of the shapes would essentially involve rebuilding the shapefile from the user
edits and the production version (i.e. pick the edited version if it exists). Put a lock in
place while versions are being swapped and remove it when done, probably only a
few seconds. You could even maintain a history by saving previous versions for
some period of time or retiring shapes to some external format (shapefile).

As requests for shapes come in a quick check of the pending database could be used
to identify re-edits. If a timestamp is set when a shape is requested then it could be
compared against edits in the pending database to identify possible problems. If a user
requests an edited shape just send the pending edits as if they were part of the current
shapefile. New shapes are just added to the pending database and make their way
into the main database as part of the update process.

Sounds complicated but really is only 2 processes, 1 database and a bunch of cached
edits. Timestamps can help alleviate simultaneous edits and a the worst thing a user
would see would be a message like "The record you're submitting has changed since
you requested it, cannot process the edit. Would you like to work from the edited version?".

Again, without some sort of a persistant connection I doubt that real-time editing is possible.
One could bump the commit time up to a few minutes or even seconds though so it would
certainly seem real-time.

(Cameron, this approach would involve no editing of Frank's shapelib at all since all you're
doing is reading and writing individual records. The effort goes into getting all the communication
working right. Could even be a perl script with system calls to the shapelib utils for creating
files and adding info.)

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst