mapserver wishes

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Sep 21 15:37:27 EDT 1999

Part 1) is real easy. Use a Perl script to access the text file
and make calls to the dbfcreate, dbfadd, shpcreate and shpadd
utilities in the shapelib distribution included with the mapserver.

Part 2) is a feature of 3.3 although with a different syntax. In 3.3
you can alter virtually any aspect of a map file from a url. The syntax
follows the hierarchy you normally see in a map file. 3.3 introduces
inline features, that is, features defined within the map file rather
than within a shapefile. So, from a URL you can create these inline
features as well. With MapServer features exist within the context
of a layer. Within that layer you might define feature type, symbolization
and annotation parameters. At present here's how CGI vars would
be defined for new features for a layer named users:

  map:users:feature=new /* creates a new feature */
  map:users:feature:points=50+50+...  /* add one set of points */
  map:users:feature:points=200+90+...   /* add a second set of points (multipart features supported) */
  map:users:feature:text=This+is+an+example+text+string  /* add text for annotation */

You can also specify a value that is used in conjunction with
defined classes. Colons are used to differentiate the object
hierarchy and so names can be used within Java or JavaScript
without conflict. This is just a first crack at this so there are likely
to be changes etc. There will likely be a shorthand naming convention
as well. As always, discussions on this topic are welcome.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst
MIS Bureau - MN DNR

(651) 297-2937
steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us

>>> Doug Nebert <ddnebert at usgs.gov> 09/21 1:31 PM >>>
There are two mapserver functions that would be quite handy for me:

Near future:
1. A CSV-file-to-indexed-shapefile generator for point data.
I have a table with with coordinates, can make a comma delimited
file with some text and coordinate fields. Don't want to have to
use ArcView on-the-fly... Surely there are utilities lying about!

Further future:
2. The ability to request points, lines or areas pushed onto a
delivered raster map from a client request. Example: I have a
basemap but would like two rectangles drawn on it in the GIF. Folks
may wish to push a point with text, too ("my house"). It could be
structured into the GET request:

&linerect=(W+S+N+E,240+100+50,text="My+House",1)...

where the parens delimit a coordinate set of edges, a color triplet,
a centered text string, and a bounding line width in pixels. Other
possible types:

&fillrect
&linepoly
&fillpoly
&point
&circle
&line

Multiple draw features could be permitted drawn in order of
request.

--
Douglas D. Nebert
Clearinghouse Coordinator