mysql

Chris Fuhrman cfuhrman at tfcci.com
Thu Apr 20 13:44:24 EDT 2000

On Wed, 19 Apr 2000, mocha wrote:

> anyone working on interfacing mapserver to an sql db (mysql?). i think this
> would speed it up a little.

Can't say I've gotten mapserver to talk to a SQL server, but i am using
PostgreSQL/Perl/MapScript to develop a Geocoding/Address-matching type
application.  PostgreSQL has the ability to store points, lines, polygons,
paths, and such and can even do some operations on them.   Not the fastest
ORDBMS on the planet, but certainly one of the more featureful for it's
price *g*

What would be nice is some kind of abstract layer between mapscript and a
data base which would make it easy for a programmer to extract layers and
display them without having to use shapefiles.

Really wish I had more time to write something like that...

--
Chris Fuhrman           | Twenty First Century Communications
cfuhrman at tfcci.com      | Software Engineer