users creating data

bfischer at usgs.gov bfischer at usgs.gov
Wed Aug 2 13:25:44 EDT 2000

I have also been playing around with ArcIMS.  This is possible with ArcIMS,
but only with the Feature Server.  This uses Java to allow users, through a
browser to edit shapefiles and add mapnotes to submit back to the server.
The user also has to have a java enabled browser or ArcExployer (Java
edition).  This is also fairly efficient if you have large data sets,
because it downloads to the client the shapefiles they need.  It also
cache's them on the client for future use.

As for mapserver having this capability.  I am pretty sure it is not
possibly with the current version of mapserver.  I think it would be
possibly with some extensive Java programming.  Points would definetly be
easier to create then polygons, because you could capture a mouse click and
transform image coordinates to map coordinates then use shapelib to create
a shapefile.

Just my thought on it,
Brian

Brian Fischer
bfischer at usgs.gov
USGS WRD
2280 Woodale Dr.
Mounds View, MN
(612) 783-3133

|--------+--------------------------------------->
|        |          Andrea Goethals              |
|        |          <andreag at geoplan.ufl.edu>    |
|        |          Sent by:                     |
|        |          owner-mapserver-users at lists.g|
|        |          is.umn.edu                   |
|        |                                       |
|        |                                       |
|        |          08/02/2000 12:06 PM          |
|        |          Please respond to Andrea     |
|        |          Goethals                     |
|        |                                       |
|--------+--------------------------------------->
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
  |                                                                                                           |
  |       To:     mapserver-users at lists.gis.umn.edu                                                           |
  |       cc:                                                                                                 |
  |       Subject:     users creating data                                                                    |
  >-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|

Hi.

We have a project in which we want the user through
a browser to be able to create data (probably shapefiles).

I'm already using mapserver for another project, but
haven't explored its capabilities enough to know if
this is something it could do. The user would need
to be able to draw new point, line and polygon datasets,
and add attribute information to them.

We also have been playing with ArcIMS for another project,
and I don't even think the user can do that with ArcIMS.
Even if they could though, it's way too expensive for
this project.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks,
Andrea