offset symbols

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Fri Aug 18 09:21:13 EDT 2000

The symbol fontsets generally don't have many characters so you can use just letters on your keyboard. I believe there is a utility included with NT for example that will let you preview all characters in a font. So if "g = circle" use "g" in the TEXT parameter. In most cases thats all there is to it. Freetype does recognize the ¡ type mapping but symbol fonts don't seem to contain those characters very often. Keep it simple. a=, b= and so on.

Steve

>>> John Hockaday <johnh at erin.gov.au> 08/18/00 02:18 AM >>>
Steve,

That's been a big help. I've managed to get labels to use the
Symbol.ttf font but I can't seem to work out the key mapping.  All I
seem to be able to get is a square.

Does anyone know the syntax for the key mapping?  I've tried character
reference mapping eg. ¡ and hexadecimal mapping, such as, \161 and
x161 but I either get an "incorrect symbol" error or a square.

Thanks in advance.

Johnh

> Stephen Lime" <steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us> writes
>
> No, symbols cannot be offset at persent although I don't see why not. I'll
look into adding this. There are work arounds. You can use truetype fonts as
labels right? So there's no reason you can't use font symbols (i.e. circles and
other shapes) instead of text. Use the class "TEXT" parameter to map a keyboard
value to a symbol. With labels you can use the  normal 9 positions and can even
offset futher with the OFFSET parameter. I've done this in the past and it works
fine. Note that because your label is actually the symbol you can't label these
symbols without another layer.