MapServer and geocoding

Daniel Morissette danmo at videotron.ca
Thu Feb 24 16:15:01 EST 2000

Daniel Morissette wrote:

> MapServer users,
>
> Has anyone ever used the MapServer for an application that needed to do
> geocoding (address matching) on the fly.  I don't think that MapServer
> has any direct support for geocoding, does it?
>
> Does anyone have recommendations for a library or package (OpenSource or
> commercial) that would complement well MapServer and allow an
> application to do geocoding on the fly (ideally something that runs on
> Solaris).

Thanks to everyone who replied to my question about geocoding and
MapServer.

We need to work with Canadian data, so the US solutions can't be applied
directly to our case.  However for those who might be interested, we
found a package that might be interesting for Canadian users:
	http://www.desktopmapping.com/GeoPinpoint.html

Also, it is not excluded that we might one day develop something and
provide it as a freely available package.  Of course, there would still
be an issue with access to the data (for Canada) though.

Thanks again!
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/