Availibility on NT

Pericles S. Nacionales pnaciona at gis.umn.edu
Thu Jan 20 15:28:55 EST 2000

Brian,

I've been testing applications on NT MapServer and could say that it runs
quite well .  Unfortunately, when creating database joins, mapserv.exe
bombs.  There may be more problems but I haven't encountered them.  The good
thing about running mapserver on Unix is that you'll know it's stable and
that more people can help you with questions/problems.  But if you feel
comfortable with NT...  it wouldn't hurt to try.

A few things I noticed about your URL:

1. It's not running as a CGI under a web server.  I suggest running a web
server (apache, IIS, or whatever) and put mapserv.exe on the /cgi-bin
directory.

2.  My experience with the NT mapserver is that you need the type in the
.exe extension, otherwise it won't work.  Check
 http://128.101.73.154/cgi-bin/mapserv.exe?map=e:\projects\landsat\paths.map
(the URL works but the app is broken at the moment)

3.  You probably notice in the URL above the path to the mapfile actually
uses the backward slash.  Make sure to use the "\" when accessing local
paths and "/" for the virtual (web) paths.

Hope that helps.

-Perry