Visual map file builder

Doyon, Jean-Francois Jean-Francois.Doyon at CCRS.NRCan.gc.ca
Sat Jul 8 16:43:56 EDT 2000

Since someone asked, I just thought I'd post what I'm doing exactly as far
as a DB Backend :

Because maintaing a HUGE mapfile (100's of layers, 100's of shapefiles, and
possibly 1000's of classes)
would be a big problem in the environment where I work, due to the fact that
there are several people involved
in maintenance and development of the content, server administration, etc
... I had to find a way to simplify
the management of all the data.

One of the mapping tools we currently use has such a system, which uses a
Database backend to store
all configuration data, and then provides a web interface to this Database
backend, effectively giving users
a web interface to the administration of the mapserver.

Since MapServer comes with the ever-so-great Perl and PHP wrappers/API's ...
Integrating the mapserver
with a database becomes almost trivial.

So I simply created a database which stores all vareity of objects that can
exist within a map file. There are
tables for layers, classes, labels, etc ... And each table contains all
possible parameters for the said object
(So for the layers, there's "data", "maxscale", "maxfeatures", etc ...).
Some basic relationship design allows
me to relate a label to a class, and a class to a layer. A layer can have
several classes of course, and so on ...
There's more details, and a few exceptions of course, but that's the jist of
it.

Currently I'm using this as a backend to an OGC/WMT compliant server
(http://www.opengis.org) ... And it is
all written in perl.  I'll soon be implementing a web/php based admin
interface to this RDB ... Right now I just
use SQL syntax to add layers, change colors, etc ... Which is still simpler
than editing a potentially huge
mapfile, and the web interface will give me the flexibility of
de-centralized management of the data/content,
leaving me to worry about systems/design issues.

I'm working right now on potentially getting a page up where all my work
would be posted and so on, and I don't
think opening up my work under the GPL should not be a problem, gotta ask
the bosses first though, although this
is my ultimate goal.

I'm using PostgreSQL as back end ... It has a lot of features I like that
MySQL doesn't, including those nifty geometric
datatypes, which I'll probably make use of soon.

There, now everybody knows ! :) Comment suggestions and questions are
allways welcome !

J.F.