Visual map file builder

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Mon Jul 10 12:30:35 EDT 2000

I hope to have something in the next couple of weeks (early August). I already
see the need for some core mods to mapserver such as replacing arrays of
layers or classes with linked lists. Otherwise layer order changes and deletes
are problematic. I've already got it reading and rendering files and need help
developing Perl/Tk widgets to control layer/class/scalebar settings. Mapfile
writing is already working so it's mostly an interface problem. Anyone with
Perl/Tk experience that could help with developing some compound widgets,
please let me know.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

Stephen Lime wrote:

> Hello users: I'm starting a new project to aid in building map files. The plan now is to
> use MapScript and Perl/Tk to build a GUI for creation and editing map files. I wanted
> to find out what, if anything, others are doing in this area. I know there are a couple
> of folks using ArcView to create map files but I think we need something a bit more
> MapServer centric. Lemme know...

Steve,

We have started working on a similar idea, but that would be written
using PHP and MapScript.  Our plan is to build a set of simple web
interfaces to navigate in the .MAP file, make changes, do previews of
maps, and save modified .MAP file.  The same way as you, we do not want
something based on ArcView or any other GIS... we want it 100%
MapServer-based, and we also want something that works on any OS where
MapServer can run.

However, this is a low priority project for us at the moment, so I'm not
sure when we would have something useful available.  If you guys get
something working before we do and it is in the same style as what we
want to build, then we might decide to use your version instead.  As
usual, I would rather spend our time improving your tool than
reinventing the wheel.  Please keep us posted.

BTW, would it be a good idea to have a page on the MapServer web site
with a wish-list, and a list of features planned or currently being
added to MapServer?  This would give all users an idea of what's coming,
and when it might be available.  And it would definitely help preventing
duplication of efforts.  Anyways... just a thought.

Regards,
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/