Back to Basics

Daniel Morissette danmo at videotron.ca
Wed Jun 7 16:54:20 EDT 2000

Michael Hass wrote:

> Originally, I placed proj4, freetype, etc (didn't compile) provided the
> location
> in the makefile, ran the make, then created a path using
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH instructions that Steve provided to
> the list in January. I added a ttf file, referenced it
> in the font file and low and behold....crash.

This could be a problem with a shared library not being available at
runtime because LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not get passed properly.  If that's
the case then you should see a message about that in your Apache
error_log ... you should check there first for an error message.

Also, make sure that the -DUSE_GD_* flag in the Makefile matches the
version of GD that you use.  Freetype support is sensitive to the
difference between GD 1.2 and 1.3 in the way to access the pixel buffer.

Finally, MapServer now has a "configure" script that takes care of that
Makefile stuff for you.  So you could get the latest MapServer source
(nightly build) from the MapServer web site and follow the instructions
in the README.CONFIGURE file.

Good Luck!
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/