interested...

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Tue Jun 13 15:11:22 EDT 2000

I never like to get info feature matches with ESRI. They have good software,
we're an ESRI shop except for the Internet stuff.

Can your interface be replicated? (nice job by the way) Sure. MapServer does
not support 24-bit TIFF but other than that it looks straight forward enough. Things
like scale dependent layer display are standard features. MapServer has always
had a nice niche- UNIX, particularly and Apache and this continues with support
of scripting languages like perl and python. The scripting support really extends
MapServer capabilities to a new level. There are just some things you can't do
with ESRI products but can with MapServer. The reverse holds true as well. Of
course $'s play a role as well.

Other users might have ESRI/MapServer experiences to share as well.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Hugo Ahlenius" <hugo at grida.no> 06/13/00 11:50AM >>>
I am curious in mapserver, capabilities and potential. I have been working
in MapObjects w/ VB and feel quite home there, but it is always fun to poke
with free software, especially if it can do something I couldnt do before.

Here is what I have done;
    http://128.39.148.64/

This map service uses 24-bit TIFF for the raster data. The legend is NOT
created dynamically (would be attractive). Another nice feature is that it
shows different degrees of generalization in comparison to zoom level.

Can I do the same thing with mapserver?

Actually Im leaning towards MoIMS/ArcIMS, since the capabilities would
rather be extended...

Hugo Ahlenius                       E-Mail:     hugo at grida.no
Project Officer                     Phone:      +47 3703 5713
UNEP GRID-Arendal                   Fax:        +47 3703 5050
P.O.Box 1602, N-4801 Arendal        Home:       +46 708782517
Norway                              WWW:  http://www.grida.no