mapscript with python

Norman Vine nhv at cape.com
Tue Jun 27 15:53:38 EDT 2000

Michael Anderson writes:

>I have been waiting to post questions until I sent a suitable
>introduction,
>but I have a problem that I can't figure out so the
>introduction will have
>to wait. We tried to compile the python wrapper and got the
>errors in the attached file.

Hmm...

Looking at your errors it appears as if you are not linking with
libpython.a

I have attached the makefile I used to compile 3.3.009
with Python 1.52 and Cygwin.  You can probably modify
this to work for you.

I am having problems getting later versions to compile
of course I have upgraded my compiler and Python and SWIG
so I am not blaming MapServer :-)

When I finally do get it going I will write a python script that should
automate building the python extension.

If your 'C' programers are comfortable in Python they could take
a look at the python Distutils SIG
http://www.python.org/sigs/distutils-sig/download.html
The latest snapshots are getting much more powerful :-)

Norman