Map server interface available

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Thu Mar 23 10:16:37 EST 2000

Doug: Cool. It is simple although a bit cryptic. A couple of questions:

  - got any example urls for calling the ms.pl script?
  - where/what is the required file dumpvars.pl?

Seems the capabilities.xml file would be best built from the mapfile itself. I believe
most of the params presented in the the .xml file are accounted for in the mapfile
syntax. MapScript would really simplify that process. It could be used to simplify the
getMap request by avoiding any CGI altogether. MapScript also supports queries
now so a getFeatureInfo request should be easily doable. In addition, you have
direct access to the shapefiles in MapScript so dumping vectors as SVG or whatever
can be done too.

Anyway, nice work Rob/Doug. Looking forward to learning more about this capability.

Steve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> Doug Nebert <ddnebert at usgs.gov> 03/22/00 05:09PM >>>
The open source map server known as "mapserver" developed by
the State of Minnesota in support of, and with support of, NASA and
other activities, now has a simple OGC-compatible wrapper and
configuration file written in perl. This responds to getCapabilities
and getMap functions so far. It is free for general use and we welcome
your continued contributions to do more with it!

See: http://clearinghouse3.fgdc.gov/wmswrapper.html

--
Douglas D. Nebert
Clearinghouse Coordinator