Optimizing Data Base for GeoData

Chris Fuhrman cfuhrman at tfcci.com
Tue May 23 09:41:52 EDT 2000

On Tue, 23 May 2000, Doug Nebert wrote:

> Chris:
>
> Did you investigate the use of Sybase, Informix, DB2, or Oracle 8i for
> the Linux platform? Almost all of these are available for Linux now at
> no or low cost (Sybase came with RedHat 6.1; Oracle can be obtained with
> an unexpiring demo license) and most/all? support stored procedures and
> extensible data types. My understanding is that PostgreSQL is intended
> for research and demo applications but was never tuned for performance,
> just a testbed of features. It would seem to me that one of these other
> databases could be rigged to store each primitive with a searchable,
> indexed bounding envelope to return the feature as a BLOB. Or, for a
> chunk of change you could use tuned tools such as Oracle Spatial or SDE...

I decided to use Postgres for development purposes and have found it to be
a pretty good test platform; however, the final product will probably be
running on an Oracle data base running under Solaris x86 since that's what
our other applications run on.

I am curious if Oracle Spatial would help :)

--
Chris Fuhrman           | Twenty First Century Communications
cfuhrman at tfcci.com      | Software Engineer