PHP Module (was: drawing on top of maps)

Daniel Morissette danmo at videotron.ca
Wed May 24 13:05:21 EDT 2000

John Carlson wrote:

> I was able to create maps and draw on top of them using
> mapscript, but now I am wondering how to incorporate
> this functionality into mapserv (a web page).  Is there some hook into
> mapserver that I can define my own mapscript program to generate
> the gif file?  This seems like a very easy thing to hook into
> the template file (have a path to a mapscript program instead
> [img]????).  Has anyone done this? I'm using 3.3.009

I guess it's time to make an official announcement for the PHP/MapScript
module...

PHP combined with the new PHP/MapScript module would allow you to do
exactly what you ask here.  If you know Perl already, PHP should not be
too hard to learn and you should get the same functionality from the PHP
MapScript module that you used to get from the Perl MapScript module
(Except for a couple of functions that are not implemented yet).

The PHP module is now available on the CVS server at UMN under
mapserver/mapscript/php3/.  I expect it to be included in the next
source code release of MapServer (version 3.3.011).

WinNT users can download a pre-compiled version of PHP3_MAPSCRIPT.DLL
from
http://www2.dmsolutions.on.ca/mapserver/php3_mapscript_dll-20000524.zip
and Unix users will have to get the source from the CVS server and
compile it.

I have started a FAQ for the PHP/MapScript module.
    http://www2.dmsolutions.on.ca/mapserver/php_mapscript_faq.html

At this point it contains pointers to the information you need to get
started (compile and install the PHP module), and I expect that it will
grow as we get feedback from users.

Enjoy!
 Daniel Morissette                       danmo at videotron.ca
              http://pages.infinit.net/danmo/