Fwd: Ideas for Mapserver/Webmapping

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Thu Nov 2 03:36:58 EST 2000

Hi Andre,

> We don't want to combine different layers from different
> partners in one map, because every partner has only the data from his
> own area.
>
> Does anyone have experience with that kind of projects?

It sounds like a standard web mapping application MapServer is
surely able to meet.

> Am i thinking totally wrong?

Nope :-)

> Is openGIS another proprietary standard?

No. The specifications are open.
If I remember correctly, some people in Italy
have started a OpenGIS WMS compliant version of
MapServer and thats a good thing to my mind.
Unfortunately the work seems not finsihed and
gone into the main development of MapServer.

> Any timeline expiriences?

hm, from my experience it sounds like an effort counted
in weeks. However, I would only commit to a timeline if
I had seen the data and the specification for the web.based
user interface :-)

> Don' misunderstand me: Companys are doing a lot of research and
> programming and that is o.k. and i'm always willing to pay for good
> software which meets my needs. We also have to live from our work.

For Free Software you can select what you want to pay for
(installation service, product extensions etc) and whom
you want to pay this.
A fundamental difference to proprietary products.

Cheers

	Jan

--
Jan-Oliver Wagner               http://intevation.de/~jan/