MapServer productivity tools.

Dave McIlhagga mcilhagga at dmsolutions.on.ca
Thu Nov 2 10:13:14 EST 2000

We at DM Solutions have recently submitted a large proposal for the
development of significant tools that will accomplish some of the things
being discussed here.  All core improvements would be returned to the
MapServer community through open source licensing.

These include:

- OGC-compliance for MapServer as a Satellite Map Server and Cascading
Map Server (receive and send OGC requests)
- a web-based .map editor
- full integration of GDAL (an open source raster library) and OGR (an
open source vector library)
- install package (perhaps install shield) for MapServer on Windows
- image warping allowing reprojection of rasters on-the-fly

Regardless of the outcome of the proposal, many of these items will be
developed over the coming months through one funding mechanism or
another.

I will certainly be in touch with the list to let you know how the
proposal fares and we will be consulting the list for ideas on the best
way to proceed should this come to fruition.  We should be notified of
the results by late November.

I'm just trying to minimize duplications of effort by giving the list a
heads up of some of the new developments that may be coming soon.

Dave
--
Dave McIlhagga
President, DM Solutions Group