Mapserver <=> ArcIMS comparison

imap at chesapeake.net imap at chesapeake.net
Sat Nov 4 11:04:48 EST 2000

Thanks to Michael and others who commented on this thread
for the detailed comparison of MapServer <=> ArcIMS.    It sounds as if the
ArcIMS "New MapService" is fairly easy to use and setup a new mapserver
configuration.   THat is something that Mapserver is sorely lacking.  Needed
are a set of screens that a user can walk thru, to setup a map service.
Digging a little deeper into this comparison,  I am particularly interested to
see a working example of the ArcIMS Map File equivilent (*.axl) for
informational
purposes.  I understand that it is XML...  and I'd like to had a look at their
definitions, scope, syntax etc.   If anyone out there has a one of these files,
could they please send or upload a sample .axl, it would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris Stuber (mapsurfer)
Silicon Mapping Solutions, Inc
(410)257-3187