ESRI business partners

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.ca
Tue Nov 14 16:38:01 EST 2000

Doug Nebert wrote:

> Web Mapping Service (WMS 1.0) was published almost a year ago and is
> the defacto target for consideration. Social Change Online, also members
> of this list, programmed a WMS wrapper under contract to us (FGDC) so
> our mapserver could be one of many WMS targets within the Web Mapping
> Testbed activity. The WMS wrapper is written in perl but is not yet
> packaged in a way I could tell you where all the parts must go. We run
> it both in Apache/Linux and IIS/Windows environments.
>
> It would be ideal if mapserver could be modified to respond directly to
> WMS requests sometime soon, though the wrapper is available for interim
> use. I don't think an integrated WMS service would be hard but it'd
> take a little architectural planning.

Doug, Ben,

I agree completely that we need OGC WMS compliance for MapServer...
given its open source nature, it would be a perfect test platform for
the WMT working group.

I think this was mentioned on the list a few weeks ago, but just in
case... we have put together a proposal for a project in which one of
the outcomes would be a module built directly on top of MapServer (in C)
and that would allow it to operate both as a satellite and as a
cascading server (based on WMT 1.0 spec).  The plan is that it would
then become an officially supported part of MapServer and hopefully will
follow the evolution of the WMT activity.  We should know in the next
month if this project will move ahead... we'll keep the list posted as
soon as we know.

BTW, are there plans to package and release your WMS wrapper at some
point in the future?

Regards,
 Daniel Morissette                morissette at dmsolutions.ca
                 http://www.dmsolutions.ca/