ESRI business partners

Michael Kleih michael.kleih at jrc.it
Wed Nov 15 04:45:20 EST 2000

Ben Lewis wrote:

> I just spoke to an ESRI rep at the Penn State Web GIS Conference about this.
>   The idea as I understood it is that anyone can register their data on the
> geography network for download.  To make data available live, that is for
> pan and zoom, query, etc, you need to have a server that is OGC compliant.
> He said that server did not have to be ArcIMS.
>
> Stephen Lime mentioned some time ago that OGC compliance was in works for
> MapServer.  That in my view is one of the most important development areas,
> and will really put MapServer in the game in a major way.  Any ideas on the
> amount of work that would take?  I would guess that one problem will be
> getting the OGC test bed specs as they are only available to those who are
> members...

We actually are already using MapServer for creating OGC Web Mapping Testbed
compatible layers, have a look at out client:

http://opengis.jrc.it

You can a also upload your ArcView Shapefiles through

http://soda.jrc.it

MapServer will then make them OGC WMT compatible and they will be
available in opengis.jrc.it.

If you are intersted in the OGC WMT 1.0 specifications (2.0 is still under
developement)
go to

http://www.opengis.org/techno/rfc10info.htm

Michael