large volumes of imagery

Stephen Lime steve.lime at dnr.state.mn.us
Wed Nov 29 11:15:09 EST 2000

I've got statewide DOQs (3m geotiff) available from within mapserver. Total volume is 24.6Gb. The data is managed as a single layer using a shapefile
tile index. Each image is a record in the shapefile with the shape being the
image coverage. Works nice. Performance suffers if you look at portions of more than 8 images at once.

On large shapefiles use of a similar tiling scheme or the spatial indexing is recommended. Realize that currently you can't query tiled data.

Stefve

Stephen Lime
Internet Applications Analyst

Minnesota DNR
500 Lafayette Road
St. Paul, MN 55155
651-297-2937

>>> "Ben Lewis" <benlewis1 at hotmail.com> 11/29/00 03:39PM >>>
MapServer Users,

I plan to make about 10 gb of grey scale orthos available for a county along with the parcel data, and wanted to check with those who have experience in this area.  The method that I'm familiar with would require listing all orthos as layers in the map file.  Can I list multiple datasets within a layer?  I would specify a max scale of course. Is this the best way to handle a large image dataset?

Also has anyone queried a shape file using mapserver which has over 300k polygons?  Is the response reasonable.  I assume shapetree would be very useful here.

Thank you.

Ben Lewis
Advanced Technology Solutions, Inc.
Lancaster, Pennsylvania