MapServer file locations

Lyndon Zimmermann lyndon.zimmermann at adelaide.edu.au
Mon Oct 23 02:47:30 EDT 2000

Greetings,

We decided to run with RedHat Linux 7.0 for the MapServer and have that
going in a dual boot NT/Linux mode.  I've tried installing MapServer
from the http://www2.dmsolutions.on.ca/mapserver/dl/ binaries website
but am not sure of file locations.

The dmsolutions site has no instructions and the README.CONFIGURE file
doesn't specify locations.

Web root is /var/www/html so I've put the demo in
/var/www/html/ms_demo.  I think this is right, and it's accessible to
the browser.

I put the entire mapserv subdirectory in /var/www/cgi-bin, so the path
to the mapserv binary is /var/www/cgi-bin/mapserv/mapserv.  I don't
think this is right
(demo.html has <form method=GET action="/cgi-bin/mapserv">, and I
presume this "mapserv" is the binary) but haven't found any doco telling
me the correct locations.  Perhaps the bulk goes into /usr/local/mapserv
and the mapserv binary goes in /var/www/cgi-bin/ on it's lonesome.

The demo.map listing includes IMAGEPATH "/usr/local/apache/htdocs/tmp/"
and the doco says this was previously set in the mapserv.ini file.  I
couldn't find a mapserv.ini file and suspect I may have to set the
IMAGEPATH directory referred to up in the Apache server configuration
file.

There was reference to a whole lot of other files - fonts, PROJ.4, TIFF
etc.  I don't know where they go and not particularly concerned at this
stage.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Regards,

Lyndon Z
--
Lyndon Zimmermann
BE (Mech Adelaide) Grad Dip Bus Admin (UniSA)

Biomass Energy Atlas for Australia Co-ordinator
University of Adelaide Agronomy and Farming Systems
Dir (GISCA) +61-8-8303 3975 Switch (GISCA) 8303 3900 Mob 0414 91 4577
Fax (GISCA) +61-8-8303 3498 email lyndon.zimmermann at adelaide.edu.au

Adelaide Uni Bioenergy Website:
http://www.gisca.adelaide.edu.au/~lzimmerm/uofabioenergy/bioenergy.html
Biomass Energy Atlas Website: