SourceForge this beast (Re: call for volunteers)

Jan-Oliver Wagner jan at intevation.de
Tue Oct 24 04:14:12 EDT 2000

Hi Chris,

On Tue, Oct 24, 2000 at 03:11:12AM -0400, imap at chesapeake.net wrote:
> Along these lines, I would like to mention
> that http://sourceforge.net is totally impressive and they seem to have
> solved alot of the open source development problems.  They service over
> 10000 projects...  Their blurb:

SourceForge owns real impressive hardware.
They have perfectly tuned available tools for the management
of software development.

Still I am not sure whether it is a good idea to centralize
Free Software projects in one place.

SourceForge is going to be the primary target if someone
wants to act against Free Software in one way or another.
E.g. a denial-of-service attack would be really awful.

Besides, I have the feeling that the every day work
sometimes is close to a denial-of-service attack.

This is not to say SourceForge is evil.
It just can get problematic.
However, it is possible to use some of the management
tools hosted at SourceForge.

Cheers

	Jan

--