State of MapServer...

Daniel Morissette morissette at dmsolutions.on.ca
Wed Oct 25 13:49:29 EDT 2000

Stephen Lime wrote:

> SourceForge - Unless the University can't or won't house the project I see no reason
> to move. Being one of 10,000 projects doesn't sound appealing. A fast, robust CVS
> server is key and the UMN can provide that. Certainly other tools could/should be
> employed for bug tracking and I'll encourage the UMN to get one running. Bugzilla seems
> to be pretty good. Other suggestions are of course welcome.  A running change log is part
> of CVS.

Steve,

By running change log, are you talking about the CVS log messages on
each file?  While this is useful for developers to figure what changes
have been done to specific source files to help in figuring some new
bug, or whatever, I don't think it is of much help to users.

I think what users really need is a "CHANGELOG.TXT" file in which the
changes and bug fixes for each release are listed with a brief
description of their impact on existing applications.  This way, someone
that was running 3.3.009 and upgrades to 3.3.012 can find in there the
complete list of changes that have happened between the 2 versions and
can more easily upgrade their existing 3.3.009 applications to work with
3.3.012.  You find such a file in lots of software packages (Open Source
or not) and I find them very useful when it's time to decide if I should
upgrade or not.

If you want I can create a CHANGELOG.TXT with the changes I know about
since the last version and check it in... you could then review it and
add whatever I may have forgotten.  And then it will just be a matter of
keeping it up to date.

Later,
 Daniel Morissette             morissette at dmsolutions.on.ca
               http://www.dmsolutions.on.ca/